- GENERAL QUESTIONS
- ACCOUNTING AND REPORTING
- TENANT QUALIFICATIONS
- LEASING AND MOVE IN
- PROPERTY MANAGEMENT
- RENT COLLECTION AND EVICTION
What are your hours of operation?Mon - Friday 9am - 5pm
Company Contact Information
Who do I contact for General Questions?
Who do I call for maintenance questions?
Can Clockwork Property Management, Inc. help me purchase a property?Absolutely! Clockwork Property Management, Inc. is a full realty Brokerage office and employees several licensed and experienced Real Estate Agents. Our agents are happy to look for investments properties for you.
Can Clockwork Property Management, Inc. help me sell my property?Absolutely! Clockwork Property Management, Inc. is a full realty Brokerage office with licensed Realtors who can help you by or sell.
How soon can Clockwork Property Management, Inc. start managing my property?We can start the process immediately. Contact us today so we can find out more about you and your property. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 909-548-0044 ext 2.
Should I self manage my rental property?You need to ask yourself if you are willing to educate yourself on tenant landlord law, contract law, regularly monitoring the changes in these laws and the complexities of self-management. Making a mistake or dealing with a problem tenant can cost you 20x the cost of professional management. Some questions to ask yourself: Can you stick to policies and procedures? Are you versed on how to deal with a problem tenant and the eviction process? Are you knowledgeable about tenant landlord law and regulations? If there is an emergency at the property and you are not available do you have a back up plan and contact for the tenant? Do you have a network of vendors that are vetted that can provide quality service at fair prices? Do you know how to professionally screen tenants? Are you able to enforce lease terms, collect late fees and prepare legal notices if the tenant does not pay? Do you have procedures in place for proper accounting and managing security deposit funds? What is your time worth? If you answered NO to any of these questions it may be worthwhile to have a conversation.
What Questions should I ask a property management company?
- Do they have a professional website?
- Do they have a good online reputation with Google and Yelp? Is their overall rating 4 stars or higher?
- How quickly are calls and emails responded to?
- Do they belong NARPM (National Association of Property Management).
- Are there any setup fees or miscellaneous fees that are not disclosed on their website?
- Do they offer service guarantees?
- When are owner distribution payments made and how often?
- Do they have an online portal for owners and tenants?
- How transparent are they?
- How do they advertise your property?
- What makes them different than other property management companies?
- What are their average days on the market for vacant homes?
- What is the average rent amount for all the properties they manage?
- What is their eviction rate?
- What is their average make-ready time frame?
- Do they upcharge on maintenance?
What is your Management Fee?We offer 2 plans to fit our clients needs
- Full Service Plan:
- Mgt Fee: $99 monthly
- Tenant Placement Fee: 50% of one month’s rent
- Platinum Service: $250 per month + $10 for rents over $2500
- Tenant Placement Fee: 50% of one month’s rent
- Platinum Service offers Rent Loss Protection, Eviction Protection and Malicious Damage Protection
- Full Service Plan:
What do I get for my management fees from Clockwork Property Management, Inc.?
- Attend to daily tenant and owner inquiries via telephone, email, portal and fax
- Timely rent collection
- Accounting for rent funds, security deposits and pet deposits
- Security deposit chargeback processing
- 24-7 Emergency service hotline
- Rental analysis and home valuation reporting
- Preparing annual year end income/expense statements & IRS 1099 Forms
- Conducting lease showing appointments, inspections and vendor repairs
- Vacant unit inspection reports
- Move in inspection report documents, pictures & video
- Move out inspection report documents, pictures & video
- The latest technology in leasing
- Tenant screening and placement
- Preparation of lease documents
- Service of legal notices
- Court appearances if necessary
- Homeowner insurance claim management
- Home Warranty Insurance coordination
- Lease enforcement with tenants
- Enforcement of HOA Violations
- Bill payment services (HOA dues, utility bills, etc.)
- Organizing maintenance repairs and soliciting estimates
- Copying/scanning invoices and attaching documents to owners portal
- Conducting annual lease renewal inspections
- Negotiating rents and processing lease renewals
- Property investment consultation and representation
- Local professional offices with the latest technology and property management tools. Local offices in Chino Hills, Corona, Rancho Cucamonga, West Covina, Fullerton and Irvine.
- Monthly statements and electronic owner distribution payments
- Less than 0.05% eviction rate
- Highly skilled staff including Licensed Realtors, Property Managers, Licensed Broker, Licensed Leasing Agents and much more…
- We are members of NARPM the National Association of Residential Property Managers
What types of properties do you manage?We manage single family homes, condominiums and small apartment complexes 15 units or less.
Can I meet you before I sign the management Agreement?Yes. We prefer to meet prior to signing the contract. This allows us to evaluate your property, provide you with the rental analysis and answer any questions so you can make an informed decision.
What is the Tenant Placement Fee?This fee covers preparing your home for rent, marketing & advertising, showing appointments, screening, executing lease contracts and collecting funds.
How do you market my property?Marketing and advertising are posted on the Multiple Listing System (MLS) used by all California Realtors, Rentlinx and our website. The MLS has over 23,000 agents and over 50,000 views per day and syndicates with 100+ websites. Rentlinx syndicates with multiple websites and our company website connects to hundreds of additional websites including Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, Homes.com, etc. We also work with local Realtors, insurance companies, relocation companies and place a For Rent sign in the yard.
Want needs to be done to make my property Rent Ready?Major appliances need to be in working order, fire alarms in each bedroom & main living areas, and one carbon monoxide detector on each level. All health & safety issues need to be addressed and the carpets and the house need to be professionally cleaned.
Can you help me with estimates and coordinating repairs?Yes. Due to the volume of business we do with our vendors we have negotiated discounts which get passed on to our clients. We have approved vendors that can do it all (Cleaning, plumbing, painting, HVAC, landscaping etc.)
Are management fees and repairs tax deductible?Check with your accountant. However, in most cases our fee and repairs are tax deductible.
What is the approval process for a tenant?We have an 8 step comprehensive screening system that analyzes credit, income and rental history to ensure you receive the most qualified tenant.
Who determines the rent price?The homeowner determines the rent price. We process a rental analysis report on your property and provide our recommendation for an aggressive price, fair market value and pushing the price. Although, we provide our professional analysis and recommendation the Homeowner makes the final decision.
Is there a cost to process rental applications and the lease?The applicant is charged a $35 rental application processing fee which consists of a full credit report, income check, criminal and eviction check and rental history verification. There is no charge to the Homeowner.
Who pays for repairs and maintenance?If the repair is necessary due to natural wear and tear, typically the homeowner is responsible. If the repair is necessary due to tenant negligence the tenant will be billed and homeowner will be reimbursed for repair costs. Before and after pictures of each repair will be taken so our clients can verify any repairs made and that the charges are reasonable and fair.
Should I Self Manage?Managing the complexities of tenant landlord law can be tricky. First ask yourself the following: Can you stick to your policies and procedures if you have to evict a family? If you cannot follow the proper proceedures and policies you may actually be violating Fair Housing Laws and/or Discrimination Law. Do you understand tenant landlord law and have a process in place for continuing education, are you willing to deal with disgruntled tenants, late payments, emergency maintenance issues etc. Do you know how to properly manage and distribute security deposits to be in compliance. If you have questions or doubts in any of these areas, let's have a conversation.
What type of property do you NOT MANAGE?We do not manage any properties with conditions that will affect the health and safety of a tenant.
Should I allow pets?Approximately 70% of all renters in California have a pet. Allowing pets widens your tenant pool, it lowers vacancy rates, tenants with pets tend to rent longer-term and protections are put in place to protect landlords with Renters Insurance and the Clockwork Property Management, Inc. Pet Guarantee.
How do you send payments?We pay owners each month on the 8th of each month and periodically as needed.
How do I receive payments and statements?Payments are directly deposited into landlords account.
ACCOUNTING AND REPORTING
How do I read my owners statement?Video coming soon
How to set up E-Payments?Video coming soon
When do you send payments?Owner distribution payments are processed on or before the 8th of each month.
Why does it take so long to receive my payment?Tenants have the option to mail a rent payment or pay electronically through their tenant portal. If the check is mailed it regularly takes 1-3 days to receive payment + 24-48 hours to clear the bank. If the tenant pays electronically via ACH (Automatic Clearing House) it can take 3-5 business days for the payment to clear. This IS NOT a Clockwork Property Management, Inc. limitation. Unfortunately, this is how long it takes banking institutions to process and clear payments.
What does the monthly statement look like?
Can I request a different financial statement?Yes! Contact your assigned Property Manager and we will help identify the right statement for you.
How do I receive my financial statement?Your monthly statement will be emailed on or before the 8th of each month. Your monthly statement will also be published to your owners portal and can be viewed 24/7/365.
What are the tenant qualifications and rental application process?APPLICATION PROCESS & CRITERIA
- We process our applications on a first come, first serve basis.
- Applicants must complete all fields on the application, attach all required documents and pay the application fee to be considered.
- Each person over the age of 18 (adult) must submit a separate rental application.
- A non-refundable $35.00 application fee per adult applicant will be charged.
- Copy of Driver’s License or Government Issued ID
- Photos of all Pets
- Personal bank statements for previous 2 months (Must include ALL pages)
- One of the following for Proof of Income:
- If employed, copy of last 2 paycheck stubs containing year-to-date information.
- If just starting a job, a copy of your employment agreement or offer letter.
- If self-employed, a copy of prior two years tax returns and business bank statements for the previous 3 months (each document must include ALL pages).
- If unemployed or full-time student, a parent or legal guardian must complete online application as a guarantor.
- If retired, copy of award letter from social security and/or copy of last 2 checks.
- If in college, copy of grant award notice, scholarship award notices and/or student loan award notice.
- INCOME VERIFICATION: Income must be verifiable through the documents you attach. We will contact your employer to verify your employment. You must provide your employer's contact information along with direct telephone number. It’s best if you notify your employer that we will be contacting them so they can respond promptly.
- RENTAL VERIFICATION: Your rental history will be verified through contact with your landlord(s). You must provide contact information including direct telephone number for your Landlords along with the dates of your tenancy for the previous 3 years. Rental history must be free of evictions, judgments, and unpaid rents. Mortgage payment history will be considered if you owned a home.
- CREDIT VERIFICATION: We will obtain a report from a credit-reporting agency.
- Credit requirements are: Late payments of no more than 30-60 days will be accepted.
- We will deny approval if bankruptcy or foreclosure has been filed within the past 72 months.
- Five or more unpaid collections (not related to medical expenses) will result in denial of the application.
- CRIMINAL CONVICTION VERIFICATION:
Circumstances related to criminal convictions are evaluated on an individual basis Criminal backgrounds involving violent crimes, prostitution, domestic violence, the illegal possession of weapons, or the sale or manufacturing of illegal substances could be grounds for denial. Please provide as much detail as possible concerning such offenses.
- PET VERIFICATION:
- Check the rental listing to see if pets are accepted.
- A Pet Deposit is required for each animal.
- A Pet Administration and Acceptance fee is required for each animal
- Applicants are required to submit photos of each pet with your application.
- Pet policies are strictly enforced. Any breach may be grounds for termination at the tenant's expense.
- Special consideration is given to Service Animals and medical documentation is required
- Certain breeds of dogs are not permitted by insurance companies. Please check the following link to see if your Pet is listed. If your Pet is on this list, you may be denied or be required to purchase additional insurance.
What is your application screening process?We complete a thorough background and credit check on each potential tenant to assess the likelihood the tenant will fulfill the terms of the lease and will also take great care of your rental property.
- SCREENING OBJECTIVES
It is critical to make the right decisions when selecting renters for your rental property. Our process is built around verifying 4 critical questions:
- Are you who you say you are
- Do you have a history of paying your bills
- Do you have the financial capacity to afford this property
- Will you be a good resident and take care of the property
- REAL-TIME ONLINE UPDATES
We use our All-Inclusive Leasing System which includes credit, income, criminal, rental history, and more to ensure only the best make it through. The process culminates in a decision to:
- Approve the applicant
- Approve the applicant conditionally (such as requiring an increased deposit or cosigner)
- Deny tenancy
- SCREENING OBJECTIVES
What should I do if the tenant calls me?Always be courteous, but kindly tell them that you hired a professional management company to manage the property and they should contact the management company. If they state they have tried contacting the management company but no one will pick up the phone, understand this is a ploy to engage you. Tenants feel that when they are talking to the owner, they can negotiate whether it’s maintenance or rental payments. You hired us to manage your property and ultimately to create a firewall between you and the resident.
How often am I notified about my property?Our system is set up to notify owners regularly on many aspects of their property.
- Notice of lease expiration
- Lease renewal notification
- New tenant notification
- Owners statements
- Maintenance requests
- Low on funds
- Move out notification
How do I contact my property management team?All questions regarding your property should be directed to your assigned Property Manager. The best way to make contact is via email or through your owners portal. However, you are always welcome to give us a call. During your onboarding process you will receive a “Welcome Email” with your Property Managers contact information. You can also call our company main line at 909-548-0044.
LEASING AND MOVE IN
You just leased my property. When can I expect to receive my first payment?If the tenant moves in on the 1st we will process your statement and payment on the 8th. If the tenant moves in on any other date we will process your statement and payment within 7 days of the move in date.
Who holds the security deposit?By law, the security deposit is not the owner’s money. The security deposit is a deposit on the property and the funds are held in our Corporate Trust account to be in compliance.
What is your move in process?
- The applicant has completed our All-Inclusive leasing process and has been approved.
- Tenant will set up their online portal, sign the lease electronically and pay the move in funds through the portal.
- The tenant is emailed a copy of the executed lease agreement, HOA Rules & Regulations, Tenant Handbook and Bed Bug Disclosure.
- One of our agents meets the tenant at the property to turn over the key and perform the move in inspection.
- The move in inspection consists of a written report, approximately 100 pictures and a video documenting the condition of the property.
- The tenant will receive a gift bag with company swag and essentials to set the tone for a good relationship.
- Locksmith has rekeyed the locks to ensure proper security.
- Tenants have been notified to transfer all utilities into their name prior to the move in date.
- Upon move in we collect one full months rent regardless of the move in date. If the tenant moves in part way through the month the tenant is still required to pay one months rent upon move in. The 1st of the following month the tenant will pay the prorated rent amount.
Why do I need to change locks each time a new resident moves in?California does not require landlords to change the locks on rental units. However, there are laws about the installation of certain security devices, including but not limited to windows, doors, and doorknobs. Every unit must have operable deadbolt locks on the main entry doors of rental units, and operable locking or security devices on windows. If an Owner fails to provide reasonable security measures under implied warranty of habitability a landlord may be subject to legal issues.
2 most common reasons properties do not rent in a timely manner:
I have rented thousands of properties over the past 10 years and have compiled an abundance of of data related to this topic. A property may have many reasons it does not rent quickly. Here are the two most common:
Landlords performing their own clean up and repairs
Landlords Performing Clean Up and Repairs:
Many homeowners choose to conduct their own clean up and repairs to save money. However, this rarely works for the following reasons:
Clean up & repairs are NOT COMPLETED IN A TIMELY MANNER
Clean up & repairs are NOT COMPLETED IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER
Many homeowners are under the false impression they can save money by performing clean up and repairs themselves. Experience has shown that it takes significantly longer for homeowners to find the time to complete the work than it would be to allow the management company to take care of it. Example: Rent $2,200.00 per month / 30 days = $73.33 per day. Each day the property sits vacant in this example, the homeowner loses $73.33 per day. It typically takes homeowners 3-4 weeks to complete their work costing potentially $1,500-$2,200 in lost rent. If the management company performed the necessary work, it typically takes 3-4 DAYS to complete. DO THE MATH!
Many homeowners are under the false impression they can complete repairs such as drywall patching, house cleaning, painting, etc. in a professional manner which rarely happens. In most situations the work is performed to the homeowners standards, but seldom completed to professional standards. When the property does not rent in a timely manner, the owner usually ends up lowering the rent price. Any perceived savings is lost by lowering the rent price, additional time incurred for the owner to complete the work, and potentially losing a qualified applicant who is unsatisfied with the work performed. When a prospective renter views a property, it is incredibly important to make the most of every opportunity. If there’s a scheduled viewing, there is an interested party that is likely to rent your home provided the property meets their standards. DO NOT GIVE A POTENTIAL PAYING CUSTOMER A REASON TO SAY NO.
The amount of rent tenants are willing to pay is largely a result of the value they believe they’re receiving. On our website we offer a free online pricing tool which provides a detailed report of rental prices in your specific area. https://www.clockworkpropertymanagement.com/chino-hills-property-management#free-rental-analysis
This report provides an approximate rental valuation of your property. However, it is always best to have our agents visit the property for a free, no obligation rental analysis. This includes the following pricing options:
Aggressive price: The property should rent very fast
Fair market value: The property should rent between 1-21 days
Pushing value: This price is above the median rent price for the neighborhood. It’s likely to take more than 21 days to secure a renter that is willing to pay a premium.
Unless your property has significant upgrades and amenities above and beyond competing rental properties, the rent price should be listed at the fair market value.
Being a Landlord is like running a business. For any business to run properly, investment is needed to make it the most attractive it can be. Homes that are upgraded and in great condition will command a much higher rent price and will rent faster. Properties that are in average condition will take longer to rent, and in most cases rent below fair market value.
The most valuable piece of advice I can give to a homeowner is to INVEST IN YOUR BUSINESS and let the professionals do the work.
What is the maintenance process?All maintenance requests are first screened to verify if our Property Managers can troubleshoot the issue and resolve it over the phone. If the request is cosmetic in nature and does not impact the functionality of the property we will not dispatch a handyman. We will forward cosmetic request to the Owner for consideration. If the request is an emergency we use our emergency protocol to manage the request. Next, we determine if the request is a recurring issue. If so, we escalate and manage appropriately. If the Owner has a Home Warranty Insurance policy we will file a claim with the Home Warranty company and notify the Owner. If we determine it’s necessary to send a vendor to investigate we will dispatch the vendor and notify the Owner. If the job is under $350 the work will be done on the spot to avoid multiple trips to keep costs down. If the job is under $100.00 we will bill the tenant for reimbursement as all lease agreements state repairs under $100.00 are the tenants responsibility. Any necessary repairs over $350 will be submitted with an estimate to the Owner for consideration prior to work being performed.
What is considered a maintenance emergency?An emergency is defined as a condition that materially affects the health or safety of a tenant. Here is a list of common emergencies. Mold, fire, A/C out > 85 degrees or heat out < 40 degrees, toilet out and only one bath in the house, no hot water, sewage backup, leak from ceiling, water leak, and building code violations.
What is the emergency process?Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will dispatch a preferred vendor during an emergency and will make follow up calls with vendors every few hours for updates. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will make every effort to contact Owner for work approvals. If the owner does not respond Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will try to temporarily fix the issue to avoid further damage. After, several attempts if owner still does not respond Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will approve the work to make sure the emergency is resolved quickly. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will make reasonable efforts to contact Owner for approvals.
How do you handle after hour calls?Clockwork Property Management, Inc. has a 24 hour 7 day a week maintenance emergency hotline. Any work order that is submitted after hours is answered by the emergency hotline team. The request will be reviewed and determined if the request is an emergency or a standard request. If the issue is an emergency, we will handle it just like we handle any maintenance emergency. If the request is a standard request the emergency hotline team will forward the request to the Property Manager to process.
For items not covered under the lease, how can I be sure I’m not going to be charged for those repairs?Our Property Managers check the lease prior to dispatching any service request. If we see that it’s not covered the tenant will be notified and the request will be closed.
How can you assure me that not all service requests will be dispatched at a cost to me even on simple things that the resident could have done themselves?Our Property Managers analyze every request and they troubleshoot most requests to ensure a repair is absolutely necessary. For example, garbage disposals are troubleshot with tenants by checking the reset button and turning the unit with an allen wrench to clear jambs, for electrical outages we walk the tenant through the steps to check the electrical panel for tripped breakers and check the GFCI outlets, etc.
How do I know Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will not spend my money on large repairs without my approval?Clockwork Property Management, Inc. does not spend any amount greater than the Operating Reserve which is normally $350. Our vendors have been trained to contact us for any issue more than the Operating Reserve amount which is printed on every work order. The Property Manager will not approve any work greater than the reserve amount. Only during a maintenance emergency where the Property Manager cannot contact the Owner will the Property Manager approve work greater than the reserve amount.
I want to use my own vendors. Can I?Yes. You are welcome to use any vendor of your choosing. If Owner wants Clockwork Property Management, Inc. to coordinate appointments for unapproved vendors we charge a coordination of $40 for the additional time it takes for calls, scheduling appointments and follow up. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. does not warrant or guarantee any work performed by non-approved vendors.
Am I notified on every maintenance request.Yes. If Clockwork Property Management, Inc. determines it’s necessary to send a vendor to investigate the problem the owner will be notified via email prior to the vendor being dispatched.
I want to approve every maintenance request.If Owner wants to approve every request, we simply are not the company for you. For any work under $350 the vendor will do the work on the spot to avoid multiple trips which keeps costs down. For work that is more than $350 an estimate will be submitted to the Owner for consideration prior to work being performed.
You say you get volume based discounts but I can find vendors cheaper than your vendors.Experience has shown that cheaper is rarely better. Here are several examples that are common with owners choosing their own vendors: Scheduling appointments becomes challenging upsetting the tenants, multiple callbacks, delays, funds being required upfront to purchase supplies, vendors disappearing during a callback when they land another more profitable job, work performed is not done in a professional manner, vendors running out of money, not being properly licensed and insured exposing Owners to legal issues, etc. Our systems are designed to provide the lowest cost maintenance from licensed and insured contractors. This allows Clockwork Property Management, Inc. to provide fast response times which in turn saves money and avoids delays and problems.
Do recurring requests get looked at in further detail to see if your vendor had a warranty so the second visit is not charged?Our maintenance system provides our Property Manager a list of requests for your property. Our team checks request history to make sure it’s not a duplicate request or something that was worked on recently. If there is a recurring request our team will follow up with the vendor to see if the repairs and parts are under warranty. If the repairs or parts are under warranty the Owner will not be charged.
The tenant caused the issue, why am I still being charged?The vendor needs to be paid for the work completed. The money is paid out of the Owner’s reserve account and charged back to the tenant for reimbursement. If the tenant does not pay, we can evict or pull the money from the tenant’s security deposit upon move out.
Should I use a home warranty company?Clockwork Property Management, Inc. highly encourages Owner’s not to use Home Warranty companies. Coordinating maintenance with home warranty companies is a problem 100% of the time. Response times are slow, getting them on the phone is difficult, time consuming and vendors do not diligently follow up on appointments. Home Warranty companies consistently look to deny claims or do minimal repairs to save money instead of doing the repair the right way. Common reasons Home Warranty companies deny claims: Lack of basic maintenance, improper maintenance, improper installation, pre-existing issues, code violations and many more. Home Warranty contracts have fine print and loopholes to deny coverage. You need to carefully read your service agreement to determine what IS NOT covered. Pre-existing problems are not covered, breakdowns resulting from poor maintenance or improper installation are not covered. The contract may also require that a system to be upgraded to current building code standards at the owner’s expense before they will agree to repairs. Home Warranty companies are in business to make money. In most cases it is less expensive for Owner's to deal with maintenance issues as the arise vs. paying for an inflexible insurance policy.
I want to handle maintenance myself. Can I?Yes, Owner’s can do their own maintenance work.
My property has a pool. How do you handle maintenance?We do not allow tenants to handle pool maintenance. We do not want tenants touching pool equipment. Our lease states pool maintenance is handled by the landlord and the cost is built into the rent price.
We handle pool maintenance in one of two ways:
- Continue to use your pool vendor
- Use a Clockwork Property Management, Inc. approved and vetted vendor
How do you handle HOA violations?HOA Violations will always be served in writing notifying Clockwork Property Management, Inc. with the specifics of the violation. We will immediately notify the owner and determine the next steps to resolve the issue. Tenants are responsible for most HOA violations. Anything to do with landscaping, gardening, garbage cans being left out, oil spills etc. are the tenants responsibilities. Common violations that are the Owner’s responsibilities: Mildew on the house, fences in disrepair due to natural wear and tear, cutting back tree branches, and exterior painting. Most HOA violations provide reasonable time to correct the issue. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will take pictures of the completed work and submit the necessary documentation to the HOA to clear the violation.
What is your lease renewal process?We start our lease renewal process 90 days before the end date of the lease. All leases are automatically renewed with a 3% rent increase unless the Owner notifies us NOT TO renew the lease. We ask Owners to let us know a minimum of 90 days prior to the lease expiration if they do not want to renew the lease. Prior to renewing the lease with a tenant Clockwork Property Management, Inc. performs the annual Lease Renewal inspection. We will document and photograph the condition of the property and identify the tenants are taking care of the property and not violating any lease terms.
What is your move out process?Tenants are required to provide a minimum of a 30 day notice to move out. Once Clockwork Property Management, Inc. receives the 30 day notice the Owner will be notified immediately.
- Depending on the situation we will pre-market the property to generate interest. When the tenant vacates if the house is in showable condition we will host an open house within 24-48 hours. If the house requires cleanup/repairs we will host an open house within 24-48 hours of cleanup/repairs being completed. We will be marketing the property during this time and advising prospective tenants to drive by and to fill out the rental application online. The goal is to rent the property as soon as possible to minimize any downtime.
Move Out Inspection
- Clockwork Property Management, Inc.’s agent will meet the tenants at the property on the move out day. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will collect the house keys, garage remotes and will document, photograph and take a video of the condition of the property. The Property Manager will process the security deposit disposition and will charge the tenant for any tenant related cleanup or repairs.
Make ready estimates
- Our goal is to have estimates for any cleanup/repairs needed within 48 hours of the tenants vacating. If there are charges to the Owner for items due to natural wear and tear these items are discussed with the owner for approval. Once approvals are received repairs will commence quickly to minimize downtime.
- After deductions, if there is any money left over the Property Manager will forward the remaining funds via certified mail along with the security deposit disposition form itemizing deductions. The refund will be processed within 21 days of the tenant vacating to be in compliance with California law.
- If the tenant does not have enough funds to cover all charges, we serve the tenant with a demand letter to pay the difference.
How do you handle security deposit dispositions?How Clockwork Property Management, Inc. protects Owners from security deposit disputes?
Most tenant and landlord lawsuits are caused over security deposit disputes. It is incredibly important to follow California Law with regards to deductions, timelines and documentation. It’s our job to prevent lawsuits through detailed reports, pictures, videos and knowing the law.
Move out procedures
When a tenants 30 day notice to vacate is received the tenants are provided with Move Out Instructions. These instructions inform the tenants of their obligations and how to return the property in proper condition to avoid deductions against their deposit. Tenants are provided with a copy of their Move In Inspection report with photos to review what the property looked like before they took possession.
Move out inspection
Clockwork Property Management, Inc.’s agent will meet the tenants at the property on the move out day. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will collect the house keys, garage remotes and will document, photograph and take a video of the condition of the property. All necessary steps are taken to inform the tenant of the condition of the property when they moved in so they can bring the property back to the way it was when they received it.
What do you do when my property is vacant?
Is the property rent ready
- Clockwork Property Management, Inc.s agents walk the property to determine if it’s rent ready. If the property IS NOT rent ready, we cannot lease the property. We will continue to market and advertise the property to generate interest and host an Open House within 24-48 hours of cleanup/repairs being completed. Properties that ARE NOT rent ready will not be shown to prospective tenants. This is the number one reason properties sit stagnate on the market. When a property is in need of cleanup or repairs it turns away qualified renters who can’t see past the needed work.
Marketing photos and video
- Trained agents will will take professional quality photos of the front, interior, backyard and community amenities. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. is one of the few companies that also produces a professional online video. Studies have shown the Internet and specifically mobile searching have become the preferred method for renters when looking for a new home. People want the ability to pre-qualify 10-20 homes from the comfort of their home in a short period of time which is a huge time saver. Time after time we hear from renters choosing Clockwork Property Management, Inc. rental properties because we are using Video Marketing.
Advertising the property
- Marketing and advertising are posted on the Multiple Listing System (MLS) used by all California Realtors,Rentlinx and our website. The MLS has over 23,000 agents and over 50,000 views per day and syndicates with 100+ websites. Rentlinx syndicates with multiple websites and our company website connects to hundreds of additional websites including Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, Homes.com, etc. We also work with local Realtors, insurance companies, relocation companies and place a For Rent sign in the yard.
- Clockwork Property Management, Inc. also produces a professional video that is connected to all our syndicates and is also placed on YouTube. We have contracted with an internet marketing company that does the SEO and geotagging to get your property noticed. YouTube is the no. 2 search engine worldwide behind Google. We also use texting technology as studies report over 80% of renters don’t want to call a number and be sold on a property. They want information about a property and then call once they have completed their research.
- We contract with TenantTurner which is an automated marketing system which allows prospective renters to schedule showing appointments at times that are convenient for them. This system automates the leasing process which allows Clockwork Property Management, Inc. to rent most properties within 14-21 days.
- Clockwork Property Management, Inc. has an online application system that allows prospective renters to submit their applications and supporting documents 24-7.
So what are the costs?
- All advertising costs are included in the Tenant Placement fee. THERE ARE NO ADDITIONAL COSTS TO THE OWNER.
- Because of this system, our days on market are 14-21 days which is much lower than the industry standard.
- Is the property rent ready
RENT COLLECTION AND EVICTION
What happens if a tenant does not pay rent?
- Rent is due by midnight on the 3rd of each month. There are some lease arrangements that may be different; however, the standard lease indicates the 3rd as the due date.
- On the 5th Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will contact tenants via phone, text and/or email to find out the status of the payment. Tenants are encouraged to pay via credit card and the tenant is assessed a $100 late fee.
- On the 6th Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will process and serve the tenant with a 3 Day Notice To Pay Or Quit. This is a legal document informing the tenant they ave 3 days to pay the rent or we have the legal right to file an eviction. This usually puts enough pressure on tenants to get them to pay.
What does an Eviction cost?
Clockwork Property Management, Inc. contracts with Kimball Tirey & St. John LLP law group for processing evictions. The cost is approximately $720 to file the Unlawful Detainer Action. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. also charges a Eviction Administration fee of $500. Eviction costs are covered 100% under the Platinum Plan with no expense to the homeonwner. If the tenant chooses to fight the eviction there will be additional attorney fees and court costs. These fees vary; however, the total cost for most cases is less than $2000.
- If rent has not been received by the 5th of the month, a rent reminder is sent to the tenant via email, call, and/or text.
- 6th of the month- If rent has not been received, our staff will mail and post a “Three Days to Pay Rent or Surrender Possession” with “Declaration of Service notice to Resident.”
- 9th of the month-If rent still has not been received the Property Manager will contact the owner to discuss the option of filing for eviction.
- In the rare case an eviction becomes necessary Clockwork Property Management, Inc. then contacts Kimball Tirey & St. John LLP law group and the deposit of $720 is charged to start the “Unlawful Detainer Action”.
- Tenant is sent “Unlawful Detainer Action Notice.”
- If the tenant does NOT contest, then “Unlawful Detainer Action” and “Writ of Possession” is issued.
- If tenant contests “Unlawful Detainer Action,” then the lawyer will notify Clockwork Property Management, Inc. with a court date and time.
- Court Hearing-Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will accompany the lawyer. Owner may attend if desired, but this is not required. A “Writ of Possession” is issued at the hearing.
- A “lock-out” date will be provided by local Sheriff, and will be enforced. The actual date of lock out will depend on the Sheriff’s availability which is usually 5-7 days. Clockwork Property Management, Inc. will be on site at the lock out, and supervise the re-keying once the tenant is removed or it is confirmed they are moved out.
- A summary of damages will be assessed and provided to the owner. The owner can receive a judgement for damages against a tenant security deposit and/or through additional court action with the assistance of the Kimball Tirey & St. John LLP law group.
What is the Eviction Process?